What Do Tassels Mean at Graduation
What Do Tassels Mean at Graduation
Graduation is an important milestone in every student’s life. It is a moment filled with joy, pride, and accomplishment. As graduates walk across the stage, one symbol stands out – the tassel. But what exactly do these tassels mean? In this article, we will explore the significance of tassels at graduation ceremonies and answer some frequently asked questions regarding their meaning.
The Origin of Graduation Tassels
The origin of graduation tassels can be traced back to the 12th century in Europe. During this time, scholars wore long robes and hoods to signify their academic achievements. These robes were often worn in cold weather, and the tassels were used to secure the hood to the robe, preventing it from flying off in the wind.
Over time, the tassel’s purpose evolved, and it became a symbol of accomplishment and recognition. Today, tassels are worn by graduates to represent the completion of their studies and the transition from student life to the professional world.
The Meaning of Tassel Colors
Tassels come in various colors, and each color carries its own significance. Here are some commonly observed tassel colors and their meanings:
1. Gold: Gold tassels are worn by graduates who have achieved high academic honors. These students have consistently demonstrated exceptional performance throughout their academic journey.
2. Silver: Silver tassels are typically worn by graduates who have achieved academic honors. While not as prestigious as gold, silver tassels signify above-average academic achievement.
3. White: White tassels are worn by graduates who have successfully completed all the requirements for graduation. They represent purity, innocence, and a new beginning.
4. Black: Black tassels are the most common and are worn by graduates who have fulfilled the basic requirements for graduation. They symbolize the completion of studies and the readiness to enter the professional world.
5. School Colors: Many schools incorporate their own colors into the graduation tassels. These tassels represent the pride and loyalty the graduates have for their alma mater.
FAQs about Graduation Tassels
Q: Can I keep my graduation tassel as a memento?
A: Absolutely! Many graduates choose to keep their tassels as a cherished keepsake of their academic accomplishments. They can be framed or displayed in a shadow box along with other graduation memorabilia.
Q: When should I switch my tassel from right to left?
A: Traditionally, graduates wear their tassels on the right side of their caps during the commencement ceremony. Upon receiving their diploma or degree, they move the tassel to the left side. This symbolizes the transition from student to graduate.
Q: What should I do if my tassel falls off during the ceremony?
A: If your tassel falls off, don’t panic. Simply pick it up and reattach it to your cap. It is a common occurrence and doesn’t diminish the significance of the ceremony.
Q: Can I personalize my graduation tassel?
A: Some schools allow graduates to personalize their tassels with charms or decorations that represent their interests or achievements. However, it is essential to check with your school’s guidelines before making any modifications.
Q: Can I wear multiple tassels if I have multiple degrees?
A: Yes, if you have earned multiple degrees, you can wear multiple tassels on your graduation cap. Each tassel should represent the color associated with the respective degree.
In conclusion, graduation tassels hold great significance in the journey of a student. They symbolize achievement, hard work, and the transition from student life to the professional world. Each color represents a different level of academic accomplishment, and graduates proudly wear their tassels as a badge of honor. Whether it’s gold, silver, white, or black, the tassel serves as a reminder of the incredible accomplishment of completing one’s studies and embarking on a new chapter in life.