How Do You Move Your Tassel at Graduation
How Do You Move Your Tassel at Graduation?
Graduation is a momentous occasion in every student’s life. It marks the end of an educational journey and the beginning of a new chapter. One of the most symbolic moments during the graduation ceremony is the moving of the tassel on the graduation cap. It signifies the transition from student to graduate and is a proud moment for both the individual and their loved ones. In this article, we will explore the significance of moving the tassel and provide a step-by-step guide on how to do it correctly. Additionally, we will address some frequently asked questions regarding this tradition.
The Significance of Moving the Tassel:
Moving the tassel is an age-old tradition that dates back to the early 19th century. It is a symbolic gesture that represents the transition from candidate to graduate. Typically, the tassel is worn on the right side of the graduation cap before the conferral of degrees. Once the degrees are conferred, the graduates are instructed to move their tassels from the right to the left side. This simple act symbolizes the achievement of a goal and the transition into a new phase of life.
Step-by-Step Guide to Moving the Tassel:
Moving the tassel may seem like a straightforward task, but it is essential to do it correctly to honor the tradition. Follow these steps to move your tassel at graduation:
1. Wait for the instruction: During the ceremony, the commencement speaker or the presiding official will announce when it is time to move the tassels. It is crucial to pay attention and wait for the cue to ensure that everyone moves their tassels simultaneously.
2. Locate your tassel: Before you can move your tassel, you need to identify where it is positioned on your cap. The tassel is typically attached to a button on the top center of the cap. Make sure you familiarize yourself with its location beforehand.
3. Prepare for the moment: As the speaker gives the cue, take a deep breath and remind yourself of the hard work and dedication that brought you to this point. This is a moment to celebrate your achievements and the beginning of a new chapter.
4. Move the tassel: Once the cue is given, use your right hand to gently grab the tassel near the button. Carefully move it from the right side of the cap to the left side. Ensure that the tassel hangs freely on the left side, symbolizing your transition into the next stage of life.
5. Celebrate: Once you have moved your tassel, take a moment to soak in the joy and accomplishment. You can now proudly wear your graduation cap with the tassel on the left side throughout the rest of the ceremony.
FAQs about Moving the Tassel:
Q: Can I move my tassel before the official announcement?
A: It is essential to wait for the official announcement during the ceremony. Moving the tassel before the designated moment can disrupt the synchronization of the event.
Q: What if I forget to move my tassel?
A: If you forget to move your tassel during the ceremony, you can still do it afterward. Moving the tassel after the official moment is a personal acknowledgment of your achievement.
Q: Can I keep my graduation cap and tassel as a memento?
A: Absolutely! Many graduates choose to keep their caps and tassels as cherished mementos of their educational journey. You can display them proudly or store them as a reminder of your accomplishments.
Q: Are there any cultural or regional differences in moving the tassel?
A: While the general practice is to move the tassel from right to left, there may be variations based on cultural or regional customs. It is always a good idea to follow the instructions provided by your educational institution to ensure you honor your specific graduation traditions.
Graduation is a moment filled with pride, joy, and anticipation for the future. Moving the tassel is a tradition that encapsulates the significance of this milestone. By following the steps outlined above, you can ensure that you perform this symbolic act correctly, honoring the hard work and dedication that led you to this monumental moment. Congratulations on your graduation, and may your future be filled with success and happiness!